For any of you that don't know yet, I am currently a Volunteer (or Docent as I was called the last time I was there) at the Museum of Science and Industry. I've been volunteering since November of last year. It is turning out to be a perfect outlet for all of the useless knowledge crammed into my melon, and anyone that knows me knows that that is alot!
I decided to take some pictures of the cool things that I have to pass to get to my area in the Imaging Lab and of some of the things that I use on my Science Connections cart. I pass the Race Cars Exhibit on my way to the Imaging Lab.

I pass the 1914 Ford Model T, 1929 Rolls-Royce New Phaeton, 1930 Franklin Pirate Phaeton, and the 1971 Aston Martin Lagonda Limited. All pretty amazing automobiles if you ask me.
My area of "expertise" is Microscopy, or microscopes. On the cart I have (usually) 6 20X dissection microscopes.
This is my cart from a distance and up close. Since our microscopes don't have a platform light, one of the other volunteers put together this neat set up. Most people ask how the light set up works and how the Altoids power the lights and I usually tell them "Well, they are curiously strong mints." Then I tell them to open the tin to see the battery set up.
The first thing I do is help people get the hang of finding what they are trying to look at and using the focusing knobs by asking if they can find Lincoln on the back of the penny. Yes, he's there if you know where to look.
Go ahead get a penny...... now look at the back right in the center of the Lincoln Memorial you can see him sitting there with the naked eye. Under the microscope you can see him a little more clearly. Then if they are still interested we move on to some other slides. We have bee parts, butterfly wings, dot matrix color printing, sand, differnt kinds of cloth... the list goes on. It's really pretty cool.





No comments:
Post a Comment