Monday, November 2, 2009

F-I-R-E spells Free!

Let me set the stage....

Back in May we decided to become members at The Museum of Science and Industry (MSI or the Choo-Choo Museum if your talking to Ricky). On the day we became members we had a great time, the boys pushed every button they could find, including the emergency button by the elevators (thank you Deaglan).

Fast forward to today.

I was 6 degrees of stupid today. The boys had a dentist appointment this evening at 4. I decided to take Deaglan out of school early. The Kindergarten program he's in is "full-day" in the sense that he's there all day. Kindergarten is only from 8:30 - 11:45, then he goes to lunch with the 1st & 2nd graders and hangs out with them for the rest of the afternoon. He's benefiting from being with them but anyway... This morning I decided I was going to pick him up at 2:30 so I could be home to get Joe and then we'd go to the dentist. Then I had a better idea; pick him up at 11:45 then I could be done driving for a little while and Ricky could have his nap at close to his normal time of 12:30. Brilliant! Deaglan's school is selling coupon books for Carson's one day sale on November 14th (drop me a message if you want one, they're $5) and the school sets up times that the classes can go on mini field trips to Carson's and sell them. Deaglan's teacher sent home a note last week asking if he could go (I say note because there's only 3 kids in his class so no real permission slips need to be used if I give my written permission). I totally forgot about the mini trip, called school told them I'd be there at 11:45. When I got there his teacher had everybody with her and it dawned on me that they were going. So I let him go, and told her I'd be back when the got back at 2. Mind you I live in Evergreen Park and the school is in Tinley Park, for those of you who don't have any idea what I'm talking about, it's 15 miles one way. (It takes me 40 minutes to get him to school) Padric and I left the school at 11:50, ran an errand but made it home by 12:45. I had just enough time to put something on T.V. for Padric and take a shower before we had to leave to get Deaglan (again). Padric fell asleep in the van on the way there. I got out to get Deg and I was told that he sold 3 more books making a total of 10 so far, Yay Bear! She looked at me an then told me that he also pulled the fire alarm. She and the security guard saw him do it. He had to announce over the intercom that there was no emergency it was an accident and the fire department had to come and turn it off. I wanted to crawl into the nearest crack in the asphalt!

When we got in the van I asked him why he pulled the fire alarm, he said "I thought it said Free." I then proceeded to explain to him that FIRE spells fire. "But mommy, it started with an F and ended with an E it said FREE." "No baby, FIRE spells fire." "oh, Okay mommy".

Padric woke up when we got to Joe's school. We stopped home and I let Deaglan change his clothes (he wears a uniform) and we went to the dentist. I thought I had everything under control. I had Joe do his homework while we waited, he and Deaglan had their DS game systems and I let Padric watch Dora on my phone. Unfortunately the dentist's hygienist had to step out and didn't come back, so our 4 o'clock appointment didn't end until 6 o'clock.

Padric sat in the chair and let the dentist look in his mouth, he did just fine.

Joe wanted to be a good example and went first. He hates the dentist. He has a very weak gag reflex and gags very easily. So he spent most of his time gagging but he didn't cry or fight.

Deaglan on the other hand screamed, kicked and cried the whole time. When he got done he ran out into the waiting room to Chris (who had to work and met us there). Chris asked him what was wrong, did he get attacked? Deaglan answered "yes! Mr. Slurpee attacked me! (the thing that sucks the spit out of your mouth at the dentist)

In the van on the way home (I drove Chris's car home), Chris asked Deaglan why he pulled the fire alarm. "Because I thought it said free and I wanted everyone to have everything for free."

Chris told me that in the van on the way to dinner after I dropped his car at home. I asked Deaglan if he'd told his teacher and he said "No, she didn't ask me, she didn't want to know why I did it."

When we got home it was already 8 o'clock, bedtime. Joe and Deaglan both needed showers. "OK Deg go take a shower." "But what about my homework?" "What homework?" "From Friday when we went to the Dr." "Why didn't you tell me about it earlier? You could've done it at the dentist like Joey?" "I thought you knew." So Joe took a shower while Deaglan connected the dots to make a Tee-pee and then colored it. Gotta love kindergarten homework.

And that was just today. Anyone want to give predictions for tomorrow?